Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Blogging: We're going to need more monkeys

What is your blog about?

Assuming you have a blog, how often have you been asked that question? My answer usually goes something like this: "Um, well, that's sort of hard to explain. It's sort of like talking to me, without so many random obscure references to subjects we're not even discussing. Also, while writing, I'm not distracted by blank stares or someone constantly interrupting with questions pertaining to what on God's green earth I'm talking about." Seriously, my blog is about what the header says it's about: thoughts and commentary from my ADD mind. At least, that's how it started out. But I was reading an old book by Robert Fulghum called "It Was on Fire When I Lay Down on It" that sums it up much better in the introduction:

Show and Tell was the very best part of school for me, as a student and as a teacher. Not recess or lunch, but that special time set aside each week for students to bring something important to class to share and talk about.

As a kid, I put more into getting ready for my turn to present than I put into the rest of my homework. Show-and-Tell was real in a way that much of what I learned in school was not. It was education that came out of my life experience. And there weren't a lot of rules about Show-and-Tell -- you could do your thing without getting red-penciled or gonged to your seat.

As a teacher, I was always surprised by what I learned from these amateur hours. A kid I was sure I knew well would reach down into the paper bag he carried and fish out some odd-shaped treasure and attach meaning to it beyond my most extravagant expectation. It was me, the teacher, who was being taught at such moments.

Again and again I learned that what I thought was only true to me...only valued by me...only cared about by me...was common property.

Show-and-Tell was a bit disorderly and unpredictable. What the presentations lacked in conventional structure was compensated for by passion for the subject at hand.

The principles guiding this [blog] are not far from the spirit of Show-and-Tell. It is my stuff from home -- that place in my mind and heart where I most truly live.


And so, to my old friends and new; to my lurkers and my prolific commenters; to those of you whose blogs I read on a regular basis and others I check in on from time to time -- Thank you. Thank you for allowing me to share my stuff and for sharing your stuff with me. Thank you for allowing me to be silly, sarcastic, serious, sappy, self-righteous, and a bunch of other "S" words. I'm a better writer, listener and dare I say better person for the experience.

This is not a "Goodbye Hey Look a Chicken" post. Just a "Thanks for the Memories So Far" post.

18 comments:

Nick the Geek said...

So how do you explain Smarty Pants? That is the explanation I'd like to see.

jasonS said...

That is a great explanation. Although, with my circle of friends and family, I don't get that question a lot. Either they don't care or don't understand what a blog is. Either way, I'm enjoying the heck out of blogging and won't be quitting any time soon. I really am growing as a person- totally unexpected side effect!

You definitely don't need to stop either- you brighten my day (even though the first time I looked at your blog it took me a few weeks to return because I was pretty thoroughly confused- just being honest!). I will now shut up.

Wendy said...

Um, I'm sorry, I wasn't listening. What was your blog about? Ooo! Something shiny!

Okay, okay. I was paying attention. And this new reader thanks you.

Now about that shiny thing...

Jude said...

My brother asked me this very question just last night. My response was that I found blogging to be a creative outlet for whatever was going on in my life. And if someone were to read any of my posts and crack a smile or feel a kinship, then that's as added bonus.

♥ Kathy said...

I thought you were here to entertain me :( dang..lol I love your blog no matter what it's about :D

Anonymous said...

You're welcome. Glad I could contribute. ;)

Stacey said...

My blog and the overwhelming majority of blogs that I read are about a topic that is pretty heavy, but they offer daily support in a difficult trial.

I come here for a break from all of that, and for laughs and fellowship. It's nice to have a place to come for fun/silly/random/sometimes serious reading! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I tell them mine is about all the stuff that refuses to stay in my head.

Tony C said...

oo oo aa oo aa oo oo oo... oo oo aa a oo...oo oo.

OO OO AA AA!

Helen said...

Thank you for sharing so much of your self with us. And I like the element of surprise, not knowing whether the new post will be funny or serious until I read it.

Candy said...

You have a blog? Every time I read the title I look around for that chicken! Oh wait, there's a kitt...

Where were we???

Love it, Katdish. "Thanks for the Memories" back at ya.

Stephanie Wetzel said...

Hello from the alternate universe. Now ... I DID read this earlier. BUT I was already drafting my post.

Thanks for your comments. And renew the prescription already.

WV: lessel
How Wetzel is pronounced in some languages...

katdish said...

Nick - some things defy explanation, Like Smartypants and the overwhelming success of the movie "Titanic".

Jason - Don't feel bad. I thoroughly confuse people on a daily basis, more so in face to face conversations. Sometimes I'll say the wrong word and figure, "well, they know what I meant and I'm on a roll here..." Being me is like riding a scooter. It's kind of fun because I don't have to see me.

Wendy - I think we're gonna get along just fine!

Kathy - seriously, we should meet. C3 is going to launch in a couple of weeks. Ya'll should come visit us, or we could meet at Brookwood. I love that place!

Jude - Yeah, as long as they're not certain family member or co-workers (snort!)

Angela - Did I detect some unbridled sarcasm there? (sniff, sniff) You had me at you're welcome.

Stacey - yeah, you're way funnier over here! You still have the all time favorite comment trophy on this blog.

Shawn - I'm guessing that stuff get out of your head either through your fingertips or your mouth. I mean that in a good way, but I'm right, right?

(said in a whispery, gossipy voice): Tony C is a drummer...

Yeah, Helen. I often surprise myself, and you constantly surprise me.

Candy - are you sure it's your daughter that's ADD? I'm pretty sure it's hereditary. You also surprise me. Who knew you were so wicked awesome funny?

Just so you all know...Steph totally ripped off my blog post! Oh, I'm kidding. She was talking about this stuff when we met in Georgia.

katdish said...

and yes, I know there's a couple of typos in my comment, but there's not way I'm retyping all that! Good night, peeps!

katdish said...

"no way"

Marni said...

Wendy, your picture of the cute little red head is so precious!! I just had to say that :)

Kat...oh Kat. You skeered me. As I was reading your post, I thought, "Crap, is she gonna quit blogging?? NOW what am I gonna do all day?" But you were just getting mushy...it's all good.

My blog is about my family. I have lots of visitors, but few comments, so I look like a total loser. But so many people text me or call and say, "Aww I saw that blah blah blah on your blog. Love it!" and I'm all "then freakin leave me a comment so everyone else will know people actually read my blog!" Yeah, I know...pride goeth before the fall.

Thanks for the daily dose of sarcasm and the expunging of guilt that I'm not the only ADD/OCD grown up who's been allowed internet access. Life is good!

Sherri Murphy said...

What Helen said. And I'd like to hear more about the DH. I'm sure there are some great stories there.

katdish said...

Marni - Have you ever read Carlos Whittaker's blog, Ragamuffin Soul? I actually thought about doing a spoof of his last post, "Goodbye Ragamuffin Soul", but I didn't think I knew him well enough to make fun of him (yet). FYI other people who are reading this, I respect what he did and I don't take issue with it or him, I just crack myself up.

Sherri - Nah, he's boring (snort!)