Thursday, January 22, 2009

Cartoon Bloggers Part 3

First I want to apologize for not posting this sooner. When I first thought of this concept, I thought it was going to be an easy-breezy little series of silliness that would fly off my fingers and into the blogosphere. But I quickly realized that a) I am not easily offended, and I sometimes like to project that particular character trait onto other people, b) the LAST thing I want to do is to personally offend anyone just to get a laugh, and c) the personalities of the people I'm featuring are way more complex than most cartoon characters. So, as I continue my silly little series, please keep in mind that whatever I happen to come up with is by no means an in-depth personality or character profile. Alrighty then? Here we go:

First up, is Pam from Life as I Know It as Junior Asparagus (what?)

Okay, hear me out on this one. Pam is very sweet; Pam is very funny; Pam is not as boisterous and loud as some other bloggers I know (unless you include her blog jukebox, but I digress...). Junior is very sweet; a little on the quiet side, but in "Dave and the Giant Pickle" this little, quiet guy turns out to be a very big hero. Pam is a licensed vocational nurse. She often requests prayer for kids and families that she knows, and I just know that those people witness the Love of Christ through her compassion. That makes her a pretty big hero in my book.
Candace (Candy) from Steele the Day as Phoebe Bouffet from "Friends"

So it seems that Candy is a bit of a health nut -- kind of a granola girl. (Just like me, only completely different.) The only reason I know that she is older than I am is that she tells me that I remind her of her daughter and, she said she didn't know who Heart was but was down with Sonny and Cher. I gotta tell you, that always throws me when she says stuff like that because she just seems really young at heart (must be the green tea). She's not quite as nutty as Phoebe, but she has her moments!
Jamie at Rose Cottage AND Rambling Rose. (She's also a photographer and a home schooler - busy girl!) Jamie as Audrey Hepburn:
I mean, DUH! If you read my post Getcherfreakon, then you already know that I'm a fan of Audrey Hepburn. What you may not know is that I am also a fan of Jamie. Now here's the weird part -- I admire Jamie because she displays many of the qualities that I admire so much in Audrey: grace, compassion, kindness, and just a little bit of crazy quirkiness. She really should quit smoking, though...(Oh, I'm only KIDDING!) If you check my sidebar, you will notice that there are a few links to some very worthy charities. One of them is "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep". This organization provides photographers free of charge to the families of stillborn or near death infants in the hospital so that they may have a beautiful portrait of their child before they are laid to rest. Jamie and her husband Ken both volunteer their talents to this cause. Talk about classy! Who's awesome? Jamie's awesome!
Next up, Tim from the Wide World of Timbo as Dwight K. Schrute from "The Office":

Honestly, I've been reading this guy's blog for several months. Why? I don't know. We have absolutely nothing in common except that we both have SCL on our perspective blog rolls and we are both incredibly weird -- but weird in different ways. All I know is the guy makes me laugh. Why would I compare him to Dwight? Just go check out his blog roll. I think you'll get the picture. And speaking of pictures, how awesome is his "Timbo Advisory"? Sometimes I just click over there because it always makes me smile. Tim, if you're reading this, I hope your heavy metal, survivalist, action-hero collecting, weapon toting friends don't make fun of you for reading a girl's blog.
And speaking of weird guys from "The Office", my next blogger comparison is JML (Jake) from Very Much Later and Creed Bratton:

Why would I compare a recent college graduate, part-time barrista and youth sponsor to a slightly off balanced, crotchety old guy? I suppose to truly understand why I did this, you would have to read his blog. Jake is a Christ follower, a very thoughtful and talented writer and basically a really nice guy. However, he sometimes has a low tolerance for whiners and often poses questions (to himself and to others) that are blunt and unnerving. While some might find this offensive, I find it incredibly refreshing. I think Christians worry too much about offending people. In my opinion, if you've never offended anyone in the pursuit of spreading the Gospel, you're just not trying very hard. Here's a brief snippet from a recent post:
"I have to admit that much of what I say and do, I do because it requires people to think, and sometimes I probably cross the line, and I sort of have a reputation for doing this kind of thing, but I'm glad to do it, if it can make someone think.

I remember driving somewhere with a bunch of interns in the car once discussing how sheltered they were when it came to understanding certain cultural things, and I had to tell them,

"I will un-shelter you all!"

I wish God would do this to us, because we need to be exposed not to evil, but to the things that have been branded as such to be liberated and to freely enjoy things that we should be able to, like rock and roll, hardcore music and people who we might just think are "too bad" for us all."
(LOVE that!)

On my cartoon blogger post featuring pastors, I neglected to mention Max from Random Thoughts bout Random Things Sometimes. I don't know Max that well. I only know that he is recently married and is an intern worship pastor. I can only base this characterization on what he has written -- both on his blog and comments on other blogs. Based on the following comment posted on Matt at the Church of No People, there is really only one comparison that comes to mind: "KATDISH IS RIGHT, something, something, something, yada, yada, yada." No doubt, Max is destined to be among the rising stars of the modern Christian movement. Therefore, my comparison is Max and C. S. Lewis:




Shawn from Brainclutter. This one kind of stumped me, but I think I've got a reasonable comparison. Shawn as Lisa Simpson:
(Sorry about the teeny-tiny profile picture, that's the best I could do!) So why Lisa Simpson? Shawn is firm in her convictions, speaks out against wrong, and is often the voice of reason in a sea of ridiculousness. I like to visit Shawn's blog and gripe sometimes. She's a good listener.
Carol at She Lives. While I would love to take credit for finding Carol's blog, I will grudgingly admit that it was Steph (at the Red Clay Diaries) that found her. She is just ridiculously funny. Check out her Plunger 101 and 102 Posts -- I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there! But alas, she plays the bass, and because I am a vocalist who hangs out with a bunch of talented musicians (my only instrumental talent is playing the tambourine -- badly), I am reduced to goofy admiration. Therefore, my comparison for Carol is Tina Weymouth -- bass player for the Talking Heads (Okay, she's a real person -- do you know any well known female cartoon bass players? No? I didn't think so.)

BeckeyZ from Zimmages. I'm not quite sure how Beckey found my blog (probably how most people did; thank you Jon Acuff!) Anyway...I don't want to reduce Beckey to just someone who takes pictures, because she's funny and cool and all that, but DANG! she takes some good pictures! So my second real person/real person comparison is Beckey as Annie Leibowitz:

Well this has been really fun, but I think I'm ready to move on to other topics. This will be the final installment of Cartoon Bloggers...Th-th-th-that's all folks!
OH, CHILLAX Helen! I'm just kidding. Next post: SCL Comment All-Stars, bloggers that I actually know live and in person, and a few of my favorite chatty blogger gal pals. Stay tuned!
(And just remember Sherri -- Animation is the highest form of flattery...oh, wait! It's imitation...DANG!)

30 comments:

BeckeyZ said...

Annie Leibowitz? Girl, you are now my blogging bff! She is my photo-genius hero! That's who I want to be like when I grow up (if that ever happens). Minus the hanging out and getting high with Rock bands phase. BTDT already.

((((((KATDISH))))))




wv: briarade.....what rabbits have on hot days with their carrots.

heartafire said...

YOU ARE SO CRUEL, Kat...
Of course I will have to bookmark a few of these blogs SITE [as yet] UNSEEN, because of your recommendations.

I already have had to set a timer next to my computer so I don't fritter away every scrap of my free time going from blog to blog....aaarrrggghhh.

Seriously, you are way funnier than me (and that's a huge compliment-ha!)

wv: kindr
"And you're probably a lot kindr too."

katdish said...

Beckey,

Yeah, when I did an image search for Leibowitz, I was like, "Oh yeah, she did that pic", and "Whoa, I loved that one!" I had forgotten just how many famous photos she has taken over the years. Don't ever grow up. If that happens, I just don't know if we can be friends anymore!

Heart,

I know what you mean about the setting a timer. I actually banned myself from my blog hopping 2 days a week (Sunday and Wednesday) because I wasn't spending enough time in the real world of laundry, carpools, and just hanging out with my kids and hubby. All things in moderation is suppose.

Candy said...

LOL - thanks for the shout out!! And Phoebe, no less!! My FAVORITE!! (My most favorite line of hers is "Oh, oh, but y'know, you always see these really beautiful women with these really nothing guys, you could be one of those guys.") Bless you, katdish, you Steeled (my Day). I needed that today!

wv: mutpit...the place you scrub right after the arm pit.

katdish said...

Candy,

I was just reading your post when I noticed that you had left a comment over here.

EVERYONE - Please go over to Steele the Day (it's on my left sidebar) and lift up Candy's friend in prayer today! Thanks.

Helen said...

"I think Christians worry too much about offending people. In my opinion, if you've never offended anyone in the pursuit of spreading the Gospel, you're just not trying very hard."

Okay, Katdish. From now on, I will try to offend people, and tell them it was your idea. Work for you? ;-)
Thanks for mentioning me on your blog. You like me.
I love you, too.

wv coneyop- the act of knocking someone's icecream off of their cone. ie I told the kid that if he didn't quit complaining about the flavor, I would give him a coneyop.

katdish said...

Oh, Helen! You know I get a little veclempt every time I see that video! I love you too! (Sherri's not talking to me -- hmph!)

jasonS said...

Very funny, but now I have to go and check out all these blogs! My curiosity is peaked...

wv: unsms -a word that spells nothing and lends itself to no funny commentary.

JML said...

You would. :) Again, as with the other people, now I have to check some of these out. I'll just have to tell you when you write something I don't like, because I always enjoy everything you write!!!

katdish said...

Aw, Jake! You're only saying that because it's true!

I have a VERY diverse blog roll...as I am very diverse. Some might say weird. I like diverse.

Jason S - very clever save on the word verification. Cyber high five!

I gotta log out now. My dog really stinks.

Max02 said...

Hahaha! That's great stuff.

I like you, You're funny, quirky, intelligent, and creative. You remind me of a friend of mine, Rebecca. She's all those things I just described. She's also a mother, wife, and she's always got the downlow for behind the scenes things going on in the town. She knows about new restaurants coming to town even before THEY do.

Thanks for the shout out. Admittedly, I haven't read much C.S. Lewis. I've actually been wanting to read more of his work beyond The Chronicles of Narnia series.

Swing over to my wife's blog for more info on who we are and what goes on in our lives. She's WAY better with the details.

Also, I'm definitely checking out the other blogs you've posted. Some call it addiction, I call it a healthy appetite for funny, insightful, crazy stuff. Anyone? Anyone?

Anonymous said...

I rock like Tina Weymouth? Yeah! I do! Love her, too! And am secretly glad there aren't a lot of bass playing cartoon characters out there. I'd end up being Reggie Mantle or something.

Glad you enjoyed the potty humor.

Am off to see what needs praying for at Steeled My Day.

Kris said...

ok...where is my cartoon? i feel kinda left out...


kw

katdish said...

Oh Krissy! You're up tomorrow! (Mwa ha ha!)

Timbo said...

Interestingly, all my friends listen to country, none of them are survivalists, and I don't collect action figures, though I might start now. We have stuff in common! Let me list the ways:

1. We both are awesome.
2. We both like the Office, evidently.
3. You have a picture of a steak festooned shower curtain, I would like a steak festooned shower curtain.
4. We are, I assume, both huggable. I don't like physical contact, but I at least look huggable. Well, up until the pepper spray comes out.
5. Your name starts with a K, my middle name starts with a K
6. Your first name is a girls name, my middle name, sadly, is a girls name.
7. We each laugh at ourselves.
8. We both have legs.
9. We both assume the other has legs.
10. We both are Christian, though on vastly different paths.

See, we are all sorts of the same!

Anonymous said...

I'm saving all my words for later...got this feeling I'm gonna need some extras!

katdish said...

Awww, come on Sherri! Where's the love, sista? Where is the LOVE!?! I'm hard at work on the post at the VERY MOMENT!

Helen said...

And we are waiting with baited breath.

Helen said...

Really, we are.

katdish said...

Ya'll need to go to bed. I just finished with Helen, I'm working on Sherri, and I still have Annie, Mare, Steph and Beth. It's gonna be awhile. Besides, I'm not posting it until 4:30 AM central time. And I don't even want to hear from Gabby. Don't get me started...

Anonymous said...

Well, my first thought was, "LISA SIMPSON!?" but your very sweet description made me proud to be compared to her.

Now I get to spend my next day off checking out all the blogs you've mentioned. No laundry for my family. LOL

wv dismater = a specific tomatoe a picky child wants for lunch. ex "Mommy I want dismater."

Pam said...

Thanks for the comparison! I almost never get compared to vegetables... some people mention my name and fruity in the same sentence but that's a whole 'nother story. Anyway thanks for the sweet words- you know you're my hero, right? And I love all the cartoon thingys you're doing... they make me laugh heartily (which is one of my fave things to do). What's really funny is that I just got told like two days ago (at work) that I talk *SO* loud, which I do, I'm slightly deaf so I compensate, plus I work with the elderly and as you know we're all a little deaf and need to be talked to with a little oomph! Thanks for making my day!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

I've been cracking up about all your cartoon blogger friends, and then HERE I AM! I made the list! Yay for me! (I think all that excitement might not have been completely Audrey-ish, tho!)

And can I just say that I love this little thing most of y'all do with making new definitions of the word verification things, but I just haven't drank enough tea yet today to be that clever!

katdish said...

Timbo -

1. clearly undeniable
2. obviously
3. yeah, that is pretty sweet, huh?
4. yes, I am, and me too.
5. eerie
6. (see #5)
7. all the time
8. kind of - prostetic legs, real feet.
9. (see #8)
10. what does that mean? you're not a closet Benny Hinn follower are you?

katdish said...

Max,

Obviously you are a man of incredible discernment.

katdish said...

shawn,

Yeah. I was pretty proud of that one once I finally figured it out.

katdish said...

Pam -

You totally crack me up! (Especially since I now know that you talk really loud. My dh is always telling me, "I can hear you just fine, I'm right here!"

katdish said...

Jamie -

you are SO Audrey!

katdish said...

Carol -

She's so cool isn't she?

Timbo said...

HA! No, not a closet Benny Hinn follower, though I do find him entertaining in a creepy sort of way.

No, I just mean that I am guessing that you are not the kind of christian that geeks out on zombie movies and listens to metal, all while stockpiling ammunition for the coming apocalypse.

That is all.