Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Cinderella Shoes (by Sara Tribble)



I first "met" Sara when she contacted Billy Coffey requesting an interview. I was so completely blown away by her questions and her obvious understanding of the publishing business that I immediately went over the check out her blog, "I Am Write". Color me impressed! Check out her bio:

BIO: Sara Tribble is finally twenty-one, still married, and rocking her Cinderella shoes whenever she can. She writes flash/short fiction with a handful of publications online, works on numerous novels, and is the Publishing Editor of Flash Me Magazine. If she's not writing, she's playing video games, eating, or blogging, seriously.

And here's her story, Cinderella Shoes:

When my boyfriend asked me to marry him, people thought we were crazy. Both coming out of high school, he was already in the military, two young hearts flooded with love were just some of the reasons. My parents never minded and supported both of us, even when we announced our desire for a shotgun wedding at the local court house. I wasn’t pregnant or anything, which was another speculation, but we had to be married to live together.

Regardless of the size ceremony, my father wanted to take me out for shoes since I already bought a beautiful dress to wear, nothing fancy just simple and elegant. My dad had to go to the city for some work supplies, so he took the chance to take me along for shoes at the local mall.

We entered the store and shoes were everywhere. All colors, all styles, and tons to match my dress. I chose a pair I really liked, silver with rhinestones. They were under fifty dollars so I showed my dad. The price made him twitch because he was recently laid off from work due to the economy.

“Let’s keep looking, but hold onto these,” he said.

I returned for the search to find my shoes. Noting his financial situation, I looked in the clearance area and found a sleek heel, perfect ivory matching my dress for under ten bucks. I put the expensive shoes back and held onto the different box. He offered to get me the expensive ones, but I refused telling him I liked this pair much more, which I did, so he put down the fancy Cinderella shoes (as he called them) at the nearest table display.

On the way out of the store he said something to me that I remember to this day.

“I’m so glad I was able to buy you a pair of shoes for your wedding. The ones you have are really nice. Thanks for looking at the cheaper ones. I wanted to be able to buy you something for your wedding, but with work, things have been tough.”

I think it was hard to admit it at the time because our family has usually been secured with work and income, but sometimes life doesn’t always give you that luxury. The day of my wedding I slid on my dress and shoes, walked into that courthouse with my parents and husband’s parents to be married.

When it was over, my dad whispered to me, “You look beautiful sweetheart, I’m so proud of you. I wish I had more to give you for this special day.”

“You did,” I said. “Your guidance and love through the years. Not to mention, I got my Prince Charming now with my Cinderella shoes.”

“Those aren’t the Cinderella shoes,” he replied and looked down to the ground shamefully.

“They are to me.” I smiled and hugged him again.

To read more from Sara Tribble visit her at I Am Write and follow him on the twitter at @saratribble.

8 comments:

Doug Spurling said...

Sara,

Your dad is rich. He has a treasure in you.

His investment in you is paying dividends better than any money can buy.

Keep dancing, keep shining Cinderella, as a father myself, I know you're making him smile. I'm proud of you and I'm not even your dad.

Candy said...

Your dad gave you the best gift he ever could have given - graceful humility and love. This story makes me miss my dad so much. Thank you, Sara!

Annie K said...

Great post Sara.

You have an awesome dad for sure!

Ginny (MAD21) said...

This is wonderful! There have been several posts this week about the importance of fathers. This is definitely a good example. My Dad has been gone three years now. I miss him a lot because of moments like these. Thanks for sharing your story.

Helen said...

A close relationship with one's dad is a treasure beyond measure. God bless you both.

Billy Coffey said...

Wonderful story, Sara. I'm sure you'll agree that a priceless father beats an expensive pair of shoes any day.

jasonS said...

That is a sweet, wonderful story. Also nice to hear something like this when the world is full of selfish 'bridezilla' stories (I really dislike that show)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the great and kind comments. I am glad most of you took this message in a positive way. =D