Saturday, January 9, 2010

Catch Phrase in the hands of an 8 year old


From Wikipedia:

The game is played in two teams. The goal for each player is to get their team to say the word or word phrase displayed in the disc. One member of a team starts the timer and tries to get his or her team to guess the displayed word or phrase. A clue-giver can make any physical gesture and give almost any verbal clue, but may not say a word that rhymes with any of the words, give the first letter of a word, say the number of syllables, or say part of any word in the clue (e.g., "worry" for "worry wart"). When the team guesses correctly, the other team takes its turn. Play continues until the timer runs out. The team not holding the disc when time runs out scores a point. They also have one chance to guess the word or phrase, with team members allowed to confer; a correct answer earns a bonus point. The first team to score seven points wins.

After Christmas Eve service, several of us went over the Jeff and Tamara's house for some appetizers and hard liquor (just kidding about the hard liquor part). Anyway, the kids were playing with a new Catch Phrase game -- not really playing by the rules, just guessing back and forth. My daughter, holding the game gives me the following clues:

Rachel: "Girls start wearing this when they get older"

Me: "A bra?"

Rachel: "Girls wear this bra when they're playing sports."

Me: "A sports bra?"

Rachel: "Yes!"

At this point, I felt that I needed to point out the less obvious rules of the game, such as the rule against saying any part of the clue, or basically saying the clue in its entirety. With this in mind, she continues:

Rachel: "If someone was jumping off a cliff, this is what you would say to them."

Peanut Gallery: "Geronimo?" "Watch Out?" "Oh, no?"

Rachel: "No. You would say, 'That's ridiculous'. The word is ridiculous."

Apparently, in this particular game, she has decided that she will be the giver of the clues. And since we were all being entertained immensely, we went with that.

Rachel: "What we are."

Peanut Gallery: "Human?" "Sinful?" "People?" "Texans?" "Americans?"

Rachel: "Mammals."

When we actually played a real game, "Mammals" was the go-to answer when we didn't know what else to say.


She cracks me up...

11 comments:

♥ Kathy said...

I like the way she played because you lost me when you started spouting off rules...rules do NOT rule lol

Anonymous said...

We once played and I said about my big sister "She was on this all throughout high school."

My little sister yells out, "Drugs!"

The answer was The Honor Roll.

katdish said...

Kathy - Yeah, but she was SAYING the answer!

L.T. - Oh, man! Thanks for the chuckle this morning!

Beth said...

I got this game for my sister for Christmas thinking it was a fun game the whole family could play...we used to love playing it when we led youth group. Well, it's too bad my family is made up of the most competitive people in. the. WORLD. I was afraid someone was going to get their arm chewed off....sigh.

Anonymous said...

I am not a game person, but this is one game I actually like! I think playing with your daughter would make it immensely more hilarious. (That is, unless she were on my team!)

Maureen said...

The things our kids teach us . . . .

Heather Sunseri said...

I love Catch Phrase. I'm not very good at playing with my children, though, because I'm too competivie, and they don't really get the timer part of it.

Anonymous said...

WE love Catch Phrase! The standard answer we give when we don't know is... "Mable bar"... it's a long story! ;)

BeckeyZ said...

I want this game, now.

mammals....LOL

Anonymous said...

I will not acquiesce in on it. I over warm-hearted post. Specially the title attracted me to read the unscathed story.

Anonymous said...

Genial brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.