Saturday, April 17, 2010

Sky Mall zombies, social media gurus and Jack Bauer



You know what? I've been followed and unfollowed more in the past week than I ever have. I use Mr. Tweet sometimes to find people to follow. I highly recommend it. I've found some really great folks to follow using it. But an unfortunate side effect of following new folks is that the "social media marketing experts" find you, follow you hoping for a courtesy refollow, and then unceremoniously dump you after you don't refollow them after 24 hours. Because they could care less about you. They're just artificially increasing their own followings so they can call themselves "social media experts". To be fair, there actually are a few folks who know what they're doing, but they typically don't seek you out first. What a joke. Whateva, end of mini rant.

In other news, I got a sweet deal on a Season 2 DVD set of 24, and I watched an atrocious amount of television this week. Speaking of which, there is a video in this post that is a bit on the violent side. Fair warning.

And now the best of me (or not) on the twitter this week:

RT @stretchmarkmama: Brought home a Where's Waldo book from the library with every Waldo circled in marker. Jackpot!

RT @muchl8r: Our job isn't to make ourselves into someone but rather to find out who we were made to be then become that person:)

@weightwhat Actually, I think Sasquatch is agnostic. #tweetsthatmakenosenseunlessyoureadmyblog

@chuckallen CLOWN MIMES??? Sweet Fancy Moses! (in reply to chuckallen RT @katdish: @bryanallain And clowns, mimes, and blue man group. // I once danced with clown mimes at a zoo. That was pretty scary.)

@HeatherSunseri Wow. That must have been horrible. (in reply to HeatherSunseri @katdish Believe it or not, I got trapped in St. Croix b/c of volcanic ash on the runways.I was forced to remain in tropics for extra day)

@marni71 Morning! He's stuck in Paris because of volcano. I know, right? (in reply to marni71 @redclaydiaries @katdish @sarahmsalter Good morning ladies. So what's up with @charliewetzel and his travels?)

@redclaydiaries Would you like me to DM @charliewetzel my Sky Mall posts? It's no problem, really... (in reply to redclaydiaries @sarahmsalter He's staying in a local hotel overnight. Booked to fly in AM. IF airspace is open by then.)

@noveldoctor Morning Sunshine! (in reply to noveldoctor @katdish [Mumbles coined word that combines benign greeting with mild expletive. Puts on sunglasses. Shuffles out of room.]

@noveldoctor HIYA STEVE!!!!!! HOW ARE YOU THIS MORNING! (in reply to noveldoctor It is a great kindness when morning people scale back their perkiness upon greeting non-morning people.)

@bryanallain And clowns, mimes, and blue man group. (in reply to bryanallain The only thing we have to fear is fear itself...and robots cross-breeding with wolverines.)

If loving the movie Zombieland is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

My first car was a 1978 Ford Fairmont Futura piece of crap that I paid for myself. With no AC. In Houston.

The high school is right next to the junior high. Since when does a 16 year old need to drive a Lexus or an Escalade?

Wait, I'm not finished complaining yet...

Well, my son missed the bus this morning & I had to wait in the car line at the junior high. That sucked.

Goodnight @herbiegookins, wherever you are!

We'll cover zombies on Friday. Did you know Woody Harrelson's father died in prison? #random&uselessinformation

@NEgraceful He was a handsome beast wasn't he? (in reply to NEgraceful @katdish Intrigued...and still thinking about the giraffe from the last SkyMall post.)

@CassandraFrear Thanks. I love Sky Mall. Endless blog fodder. (in reply to CassandraFrear @katdish Can't wait to read it ! Your last "gardening" post was amazing! It'll be my first cup of coffee for sure.)

@VariantVal It's a natural progression, don't you think? (in reply to VariantVal @katdish you're growing horns?)

Sorry I've been so scarce today. And now I'm fixin' to be scarce again. Off to horn lessons!

Alrighty. I'm pretty exhausted from watching TV for the past 4 hours. (Wow, that's just sad) Goodnight

My 2 part Sky Mall backyard series has now been expanded to a 3 part. I know. You're welcome.

And I gotta tell ya, I'm pretty heartbroken.

All of the "social media experts" that followed me in droves are now unfollowing me because I didn't courtesy refollow.

@VariantVal Okay, dirty how? Ewh... (in reply to VariantVal @katdish He said he didn't want to get them dirty so LMAO)

@VariantVal WHY DIDN'T HE HAVE PANTS ON?

@elaina_avalos I talk about a lot of things most people just keep to themselves (in reply to elaina_avalos @katdish I don't know. I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about that. Haha. Maybe the Dog Whisperer knows?)

@Helenatrandom Yeah...I'm a legend in my own mind. (in reply to Helenatrandom @katdish Don't they know who he is? The dog of a famous blogger and twitterer deserves more respect!)

@Helenatrandom Buddy Lane, is in my ears and in my eyes. There beneath the blue suburban skies... (in reply to Helenatrandom @katdish Why, I think your dog walking route should be renamed "Buddy Love Lane" ...)

RT @noveldoctor: "Romantic idealist" is just a nicer way of saying "single and alone."

@Helenatrandom There would be a lot of bronzed mailboxes here if everyone felt that way. (in reply to Helenatrandom @katdish But of course! I know I would have my mailbox BRONZED if @buddylovethedog phantom peed on it! BRONZED!)

@Helenatrandom they dig it the most. (in reply to Helenatrandom @katdish Awww... I bet the neighbors find that SO adorable...)

Patiently walking @buddylovethedog as he phantom pees on everyone's mailbox.

@jennybekrocks Yeah. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. (in reply to jennybekrocks @katdish And cold sores. I'm going to stop now. I'm grossing myself out.)

@jennybekrocks That's so true. Lice works like that, too. (in reply to jennybekrocks @beckfromfrogandtoad @katdish everyone knows you can't get rid of illness until you share it ... ;)

RT @amysorrells: @katdish My "sketching out" process is top-secret. I could tell you, but then . . . I'd have to write it. LOL

@amysorrells Mmm hmmm. Define "sketching out (in reply to amysorrells @katdish I'm sketching out a second (or third) one, depending on how you count 'em! Really!)

@amysorrells Okay, fine. How's the MS coming along then? Are you writing? Hmmm????? (in reply to amysorrells @katdish I'm so not a blogcrastinator. SO not.)

In carpool line. Just noticed my right rear tire is low. Rethinking the "drive your daughter to school in your pjs" thing.

Jack Bauer - You had me at "I'm gonna need a hacksaw".


RT @noveldoctor: If you have the gift of writing and yet don't write, you're the author of a tragedy.

@CandySteele that cat looks like he's praising Jesus. Amen. (in reply to CandySteele @katdish I found this when I went to DC and thought of you. Looks like awesome cat on crack http://is.gd/bq0tG


@MrTweet_Alert Also? @redclaydiaries called me annoying

@MrTweet_Alert Mr. Tweet. You are very helpful albeit very bossy... (in reply to MrTweet_Alert @katdish - redclaydiaries recommended you to @MrTweet. You should acknowledge it here: http://bit.ly/97qgI9)

Man, it's 1PM already. I need a sammich

@pwilson re: today's post. Check out this flag made of baseballs. Awesome. http://twitpic.com/1f2sd7



@weightwhat Happy Birthday Princess!

For the record, I typically only refollow real people, not bots.

Oh-em-Gee! I check my email and suddenly I'm being followed by a gaIllion Internet marketing "gurus". Wuddup with that?

I'm married. I don't need the "easily meet in many dating".

The easily meet in the many dating is here! I'll get even made a cute girl in your area, so many people register for girls! (Translated)

Um, okay. Now I don't feel bad for deleting the comment. Thanks for your help @elaina_avalos

I suppose I could send the comment to my mom and ask her what it means, but that would require my mom have working knowledge of a computer.

But what if this person is really trying to leave a comment, and is getting increasingly angry at me for not publishing it?

So...Every single day, I get a comment on one particular post, but it's written in Japanese. I figure it's spam, so I delete it...

We actually DID have potatoes after all! You're welcome. http://twitpic.com/1ep094


@maggiedammit That's really the only explanation for the McRib (McKnuckle) sandwich. (in reply to maggiedammit I am 100% convinced McDonald's food contains a mind erasing drug so you forget how gross it is until the next time.)

@duane_scott You are wise beyond your years young man. (in reply to duane_scott @katdish remind me not to hang out with you ever... I value my life still.)

@duane_scott Some things are nature, not nurture. Samurai blood and all...(in reply to duane_scott What are you teaching your kids anyway?!)

Kids say the darndest things don't they? http://twitpic.com/1el9ty

4 comments:

Joanna said...

You'd think that part of being a social media expert would be being able to write interesting, non irritating tweets, but few of the so called social media experts seem to manage!

Cassandra Frear said...

Samurai warriors ... riping off heads ... volcanoes, Paris, zombies ... gurus ... You had a busy week!

You know, it's not always immediately obvious when someone is a social media guru and is just trying to increase their numbers. Sometimes the guru hides behind a name and personality. I've had quite a few of these real people unfollow me within 48 hours of my courtesy follow.

Wendy said...

After you tweeted the picture of the potatoes, I had to go check my own bag of potatoes. Mine are only slightly smaller than yours. TWSS.

♥ Kathy said...

I've had the same insurance company follow me and unfollow me 12 times in the last month. So weird. Those potatoes are truly scary. I'm glad I haven't eaten yet..