Sunday, July 6, 2008

Overwhelmed

5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:5-7)

So, I've been feeling anxious lately. Perhaps a better term would be overwhelmed. There is much to do. Time and time again, I find myself searching out this particular passage, but just as often, I ignore God's words. Perhaps my biggest struggle is time management. It would be romantic to say that I like to live in the moment. Reality reveals a less flattering picture. Here's my confession: I am incredibly undisciplined. When I want to do something, I do it very well. When my heart is in it, I know that the end product will most likely be very good. I love "special projects". Things that take me away from the daily grind; and I've had many such projects lately. The problem is, everything that encompasses my daily grind world tends to suffer. This includes my husband, my kids, my home, and most importantly, my time with God.

Do you struggle with this? I don't have any great revelation or suggestions on how to overcome this particular flaw in my character. I only know that, as I've said before, it boils down to dying to ourselves and our selfish desires, taking up our crosses on a DAILY basis, and truly following him. May you be blessed to feel His presence in your life today.

6 comments:

Helen said...

Yes, I often feel like that. I tend to get into reading mysteries too much and often, and let the daily chores slip away. I have don't have any advice for anyone else. I started listening to books on CD from the library, so now I can work and listen, or just hang out with mom and listen with her, instead of reading and not paying much attention to her. But that won't help with your special projects, will it? Well, know that you are not alone in time mismanagement. Have a great day! God Bless!

Kris said...

Don't get weary in well doing.

We talked about this is ss class this am. Sometimes we have to keep on keeping on out of obligation (or obedience) and then the doing it out of love returns. Keep your head up!

kw

Rebecca said...

I'm one of those people that have to do everything whole-heartedly so I know what you mean. It's a struggle for me to find a balance between my different pursuits. Usually I'm so focused on one thing that the others get left out. I definitely need some divine help with that!

Christine said...

One of the aspects of going to seminary that has greatly excited me is the fact that I HAVE to be in His Word. Don't get me wrong, I love to study His word, but without given deadlines, I just mosey along at my sweet little turtle pace. I recently had to memorize a large amount of scripture and it has been the greatest blessing! It is sad to admit, however, that if it weren't for my class and the deadlines for presentation, I would not have done it with the same fervency and focus.
This is why I have to be accountable.

Thank you, Kathy, for your transparency...it helps others see God's grace. After all, if he can save little chicken-spotting wretch like you, then there's hope for the little game-clicking procrastinator like me!

Btw, a recent survey of a variety of successful ministry leaders revealed that the #1 hindrance (or "difficulty") in ministry was.......yup.....TIME MANAGEMENT!

You are in good company.

Christine said...

Oh, btw, your post was at the 7.2 grade level. :) (right on target!)

This readability business just fascinates me! You enter any slice of text and get a completely overkilled statistical layout. Check it out: http://storytoolz.com/readability/text_entry

JML said...

Oh man, if we figured out how to get over THAT little speed bump, I think that the world would be a different place!